John 6:20

John 6:20 but he called out to them "Don't be afraid. I am here!"

Friday, May 25, 2012

Don't blame me


When I first began my walk with Christ and really started getting into the Word, my eyes started to see the world the way it was supposed to be instead of the way it is.  I already knew that we were self-destructive, I just didn’t realize to what extent.  I knew before I started reading the Bible that killing, stealing and cheating was wrong and since I didn’t take part in things of that nature, I didn’t have to take any blame for the problems of this world.  I have always had a strong since of responsibility, I don’t do drugs or break the law, I believe in working hard and paying your own way.  I took comfort in thinking I was one of the good guys. Then, I opened up my Bible and learned there was plenty of blame for me to take.  God started showing me that just because I am not a drain on society, doesn’t mean I’m not a drain on His kingdom.

As I began to study His word, I learned that lies are color blind.  There is no such thing as a “little white lie.”  All lies are the work of the enemy and go against God’s will.  Psalm 101:7 I will not allow deceivers to serve in my house, and liars will not stay in my presence.  So many people don’t realize that the smallest lie can destroy the strongest foundation.  I also learned that gossip is just as destructive.  Even when you think what you’re saying is true, if it’s negative, what is the purpose of saying it?  Are we trying to help?  Are we trying to build someone up?  If we spreading gossip, the answer is always NO.  No one has the right to assume they know what it’s like to be someone else.  I, then, realized that since I was this hard working, law abiding, all around good citizen that I had also became a little self- righteous and judgmental.  For some reason, I thought I had the authority to pass judgment on everything that didn’t measure up to my standard. The Bible taught me that I have no authority to pass judgment.  He showed me that just because I don’t kill or steal doesn’t mean that I don’t have plenty of improving to do.

The problem, however, is that once we learn how sinful these things really are, we can’t seem to take accountability for them.  We search for justification of the sin or we want to place the blame on someone else.  That is not God’s will.  He never said thou shall not kill unless you think you have to.  We have to humble ourselves and admit our own sin to the Lord.  How can He forgive us if we refuse responsibility?  We can’t just stop passing judgment onto others; we have to take accountability for our own actions.  Everything wrong isn’t always someone else’s fault.  Just because we are all God’s children doesn’t mean we should act like children.

Truth is, when we find fault and blame others; we are doing the enemy’s work but when we hold ourselves accountable for our own sins, seek forgiveness and turn away from it; we can allow God’s work to take place within us.  And, not speaking for any other Christian, but that is what I pray for every day.

2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all stand before Christ to be judged.  We will each receive whatever we deserve for the good or evil we have done in this earthly body.     

No comments:

Post a Comment