John 6:20

John 6:20 but he called out to them "Don't be afraid. I am here!"

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Creating our own hell

One of my favorite things to do is to sit on my front porch with a good cup of coffee and a book (more often now my e-reader).  Sometimes, I get distracted by the people walking by and it saddens me.  I'm honestly not trying to listen to their conversations but we all know we can't always control what our ears take in.  Just like in most places, my hometown is a victim of a lot of struggling families.  Drug and alcohol abuse is common.  Jobs are here but the pay is low and everyone does drug testing these days.  I don't think you can even flip a burger without peeing in a cup first.  So, I hear the things they say as they walk by; people worrying about money.  The rent is late, the electric is due, the baby needs diapers, and... you get the point.  Some asking me for a cigarette (praise God I haven't smoked a cigarette for almost 7 1/2 months!!!)  Of course some just wanting to party. Even others rolling their eyes at the ones that have it so hard right now.  It saddens me because as a lot of us are complaining on how hard times are, we don't even realize we are part of the problem.

There, I said it.  We create our own hell.  I hear people use the term "hell on earth" and it confuses me.  If that is where you think you are; truth is, it is of your own doing.  In Genesis 1:1 it says God created the heavens and the earth.  If you continue to read on you will see that He saw all His creations as good. That means earth as well.  Our sins create the hell we live in.  But, instead of turning away from our sins and choosing to be a part of the solution; we chose to stay a part of the problem.  We don't turn to God seeking answers; we turn to each other seeking someone to blame.  I see the down-and-out blaming their lack of jobs or money on the ones that seem to have jobs and money.  On the other hand, I hear the ones with jobs blaming the taxes they pay on the down-and-out.

So, let's be honest: to the ones that are jobless; it's not the employed that's to blame for your lack of a paycheck.  Maybe it's because you didn't further your education or you can't pass a drug screening or maybe you run from the jobs that have been offered to you because you realized that you actually had to WORK to get paid.  Now, to the ones blessed with a job; it's not the unemployed that's to blame for the taxes you pay.  Sure, some of those funds go to help those who need it but, face it; your paying taxes no matter what the unemployment rate is.  It is also not up to you to judge them on why they are unemployed.  Maybe, they were laid off because of the current economic hardship we are under right now or the field they did go to school for is not in high demand at the moment or maybe they have been stricken with illness that has rendered them incapable of performing the only trade they've ever known.  Regardless, we can't know everyone's circumstances so, we should stop blaming each other for what we think is the truth.

Now, I am not naive.  I know there are plenty of dishonest people out there.  There is no short supply of liars and thieves.  They will be held accountable for their deeds the same as everyone else but not by me or by any of you.  You don't have to be a believer to be judged by God; no one will escape Him on judgement day.  So, I say let God do His job.  He does not need our help to do it.  

Don't think I'm being judgmental.  I have been through all walks of life first-hand.  I've been homeless and hungry all the way to homeowner and well fed.  I used to be the undefeated champion of the blame game from both sides.  God has truly convicted me of creating my own hell.  I now know that if we stop blaming each other for all the wrongs here on earth and just strive to help one another; hell will stay where it belongs and that is not here on earth.

So, instead of ending with scripture I feel He is calling me to end with this prayer:
Heavenly Father, thank You for all Your blessings today.  I pray that it was Your will that led me to write this today and not my own.  I ask that it finds it's way into the hearts of all that need it and that all Your children can begin to come together, to help and love each other; all to glorify Your holy name.  In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I do respect you for not wanting to blame or pass judgement.
    That really is for the Big Guy Upstairs to sort out. ...but I can't help myself.
    I DO blame people. I WILL judge.
    I don't think i'm above anyone. Nor am I below them.
    I just feel as if i'm the firm boot to the ass that some of this garbage needs in the world.

    People know right from wrong. They know stealing and drugs and all that other shit isn't what you should be doing.
    You don't need any commandments for that.
    Its just.. basic courtesy, common sense, and a love for your fellow man.

    We all need to love and respect one another, but some people.. just don't want to.
    I'll accept that.
    In return, I don't even view them as 'people'.

    I have no sympathy, or even the basic feelings of human attachment to people who act like savages.

    I 'try' to be a nice guy to everyone. Lord knows I do.
    ...its just very... very hard to keep smiling sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “The number one cause of atheism is Christians.” (Karl Rahner)

    ReplyDelete