John 6:20

John 6:20 but he called out to them "Don't be afraid. I am here!"

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Who's Judging?

I never realized how non believers viewed christians until I became one.  It seemed that as soon as people found out I had faith there was an ambush of accountability for the actions of every christian they had ever come across that I was suppose to take responsibility for.  I heard countless stories about one christian or another who condemned them for their way of life.  How they were told constantly that every choice they've made in their life was wrong and that according to the Bible if they don't change they will go to hell. So, consequently, since I am now one of those "Bible-thumping hypocrites" I must think the same way and should explain why we think we are better than everyone else.  At first, I tried to defend my faith.  I tried to tell them that I wasn't a "Bible-thumping hypocrite" and that my faith does not give me the authority to condemn anyone to hell. I tried to show them that I didn't view the Bible as a do what I say or burn forever book but instead as loving instructions from the Heavenly Father to all His children. That approach didn't work very well. So, I prayed for them.  I prayed that they would open their hearts to God's love; to feel His presence and come to know the joy that only He can provide.  Then, God showed me that they were not the only ones who needed prayer.

We as christians need prayer, too.  Our responsibility is to show people God's love. To make them aware of His most amazing gift; His one and only son Jesus Christ.  Jesus taught us numerous times that our thoughts, words and deeds should have love as the motive; love for God, love for our neighbor.  Instead, as a whole body we have given the impression that it is love for ourselves that drives us.  No matter what non-believer I have come across their experiences with believers are very similar and have one theme.  They felt looked down upon by a representative of Christ.  Being called to the Lord does NOT remove our capability to sin nor does it change the fact that we are still sinners.  Being saved gives us the privilege to be forgiven as long as we sincerely strive to stop serving this world and serve only Him in everything we do.  So, if being saved doesn't make us perfect, why would we judge the sins of others when we still have plenty of our own?

Of course, just like any other parent, our Heavenly Father does have rules for us to follow.  They are in the Bible for us to learn and follow.  Like the rules we make for our own children; they are for our own good.  He loves us and wants to keep us safe.  Safe from the enemy and safe from ourselves.  His intent was not for us to take His commandments and become the judge and jury of other people's transgressions.  We should build one another up, not tear each other down.  Let us love and support each other in Christ and show others that in God they will find that Amazing Grace that we are always singing about.  Show them that we are not perfect; just forgiven.






John 8:7 They kept demanding an answer, so he stood up again and said, "All right, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!"

1 comment:

  1. I think people love hating Christians in general because of how big of a target they have on their backs.
    Its an easy religion to criticize and make fun of due to the unusually large number of 'crazies' in the group. Those angry, shouting, bible-thumping ones you mentioned.
    I say keep doin' what you're doin'.
    The world needs more decent folk and smiling faces.

    ReplyDelete